Pets

No chocolate treats for pets

What would life be without chocolate? It’s delightfully sweet taste and creamy texture has the ability to ease a broken heart, improve a bad day or satisfy a craving.

However, this dieter’s weakness and health nut’s reward could have dire consequences for your pets if ingested by them. The PFI (Pet Food Industry Association of Southern Africa) would like to warn pet owners against sharing this favourite treat with their pets, including cats which are often overlooked when considering the forbidden pet foods list.

Sugar and caffeine will always pose their own health risks for pets and humans alike, so it is not recommended to feed pets any substance that has these ingredients in them. In the case of chocolate, however, it is theobromine that is the real concern.

This natural stimulant is found in cocoa beans and acts as a diuretic and cardiac and central nervous system stimulant, causing a loss of body fluid and increases the heart rate.

Humans are not affected in the same way because we have the required enzymes to metabolise theobromine efficiently, whereas pets do not. Theobromine will therefore build up to toxic levels in your pets, which sadly can have lethal effects.

 

This Page Is Proudly Brought To You By

Snakes 'n More - 0820427730
Fluffy tail - 0833687490
Pets Paradise - 0733084673
Oakfields Vet - 0114250224
Kaidan's Grove - 0828997751
Oakfields Vetshop - 0828997751
Doggy World Grooming - 0118940044
Advertise With Us - 0114250164

Although there are various factors to consider, which do contribute to the level of poisoning, such as the size of the animal, type of chocolate consumed (dark chocolate being the worst) and the amount ingested, it is still best to play it safe and avoid this toxic food stuff altogether, since as little as 100mg of theobromine per kg of bodyweight is considered toxic.

 

Pets can be sneaky though, so if your pet has managed to guzzle down some of your chocolate stash without you knowing here’s what you need to do:

  • Make contact with your vet for professional advice .
  • If symptoms of chocolate poisoning are noted rush to the vet immediately – these include:
  1. Extreme thirst and energy.
  2. Diarrhoea and / or vomiting.
  3. Pacing, panting and shaking, which lead to increased urination, tremors and seizures, and a racing heart which may ultimately result in a heart attack.
  • Have information ready for your vet:
  1. How much chocolate was eaten?
  2. What type of chocolate (wrappers will be useful)?
  3. How much time has passed since ingestion?
  4. A sample of their vomit may also be helpful.

When looking for tasty treats for your pets, to reward them for their good behaviour, rather look to pet-appropriate treats or specially formulated pet chocolates, suitable for pet consumption.

 

boksburgadvertiserbrakpanheraldspringsadvertiserafricanreportergetit looklocal.co.zaAutodealer.co.za
Top

Thanx for your referral. We have no doubt your friends will love our newsletter as much as you!

Don't forget to verify your email.

SUBSCRIBE
to our free NEWSLETTER
!
SUBSCRIBE to our FREE newsletter.




SELECT your titles:

African Reporter
Benoni City Times
Boksburg Advertiser
Brakpan Herald
Germiston City News
Springs Advertiser
Tembisan


Your details:


Your friends:

I didn't sign up for this
I'd like to see and read more... (Please indicate in comments section below)
I'm relocating (Please indicate where to)
Other