Benoni City Times has a proud history of serving the community of Benoni, covering local news ranging from municipal news to crime, schools, social and sports news and contributions from readers who regard the City Times as “their” newspaper.
Its popularity with residents is highlighted by a strong letters page and anxious phonecalls from readers who suffer withdrawal should there be a delay in distribution on a Thursday.
Originally based in the CBD, the offices are now located at Northmead Square.
The Benoni City Times was founded in 1921 and, ever since, has kept the residents of Benoni informed of who is who and what is happening.
The first edition of the Benoni City Times hit the streets in September 1921.
Founder William Hills was a dedicated and hard-working journalist with a strong desire to bring the truth to the people.
The paper, truly a family business, grew and prospered under the guidance of his eldest son, William Haigh (Billy) Hills, and met even greater success under the influence of his grandson, William Edward Haigh Hills, also known as Billy, who ran the publication until 1982, when he sold it to the Caxton group.
Corner 14th Avenue &
O’Reilly Merry Street
Tel: 011 425 0164
No sooner had the first William surmounted the obstacles of creating a newspaper, than Benoni was plunged into an economically crushing strike, followed by a chaos-creating revolution.
The Benoni City Times was the flagship of Amalgamated Press, which also boasted the Germiston City News, Boksburg Advertiser and Brakpan Herald.
It was bought from the Hills family in 1982 and now forms part of the large Caxton stable of community newspapers.
Initially a sold broad sheet newspaper, the City Times continues to deliver the news to the community of Benoni today, as a free tabloid with a distribution of 39 600 copies.
- - 53% of Benoni decision makers English and 44% Afrikaans as a home language.
- - Only 28% of residents have children in school.
- - 63% of household purchase decision makers work full – time
- - 37% of Benoni Households are LSM 10 and 35% are LSM 9.
- - Int terms of income wealth 28% of households in Benoni earn between R1200 - R15000 and 29% earn between R25 and R49 000.
- - 36% of decision makers are aged 50+, 26% are between 35 and 49 years of age and 24% are between 25 and 34.
- - 23% of the 40 000 PDMs living in Benoni have higher education.
- - The Sunday Times is the best read competing weekly newspaper with a readership of 12% while the Benoni City Times has a whopping 71% readership.
- Crystal Park
- New Modder
- Mackenzie Park
- Western Extension
- Benoni Central
- Alphen Park
- Brentwood Park
- Northmead Ext.
- Rynfield Ext.
Total distribution: 39 600 - Delivered on Thursdays
How Caxton prints local newspapers