What to do in a poisoning emergency
There are some first aid measures that make a difference if accomplished within seconds to minutes of being exposed to poison.
Be familiar with the steps below for what to do if someone is poisoned:
- Try to remain calm.
- Contact your local emergency service immediately.
- Identify what type of emergency you are dealing with.
- Give your name and contact details to the emergency call centre operator.
- Identify the number of people or vehicles involved.
- Give the physical address and nearest corner or a landmark.
- Stay on the line and answer all the operators questions.
Call your local emergency service immediately if the patient is:
- Unconscious or have a decreased level of consciousness.
- Has breathing difficulty or not breathing at all.
- Having seizures.
- Uncontrollably restless, agitated or combative.
- Whenever you are worried about the patient.